Thursday, May 15, 2008

ABOUT GOOGLE DOCS

Google docs is a great tool for collaborations. Its tutorial is very informative, plus you can check out a lot of other U-tube tutorial videos on how to create a spreadsheet, charts, etc.
There is one video on how to create a live poll, and that would awesome to use during these days of getting to know the candidates for the Library Director position. We could have a staff poll on the candidates!
I did create a chart on my pregnancy weight gain with Hugo and currently with Enzo, but I did not have all the data to delivery of neither one, so it will need some further updating. It was very easy to create, and it was nice to have different formats available to showcase the data.
I also typed a couple of word documents, more to try the different fonts than anything else; and I tried to make a presentation, but I could not figure out and easy way to keep on adding slides. Needless to say that my lack of PowerPoint knowledge did not help!
Overall, Google docs is a great tool. The potential is infinite for personal use or work.
As a suggestion for the use of Google Docs in BPL, would be a live poll on the library director candidacy, an opinion column where everybody could be voicing their opinion using the collaboration options, typing charts on the circulation of library materials, monthly or bi-monthly... For that purpose, the "cheese-charts" would be my favorite(how many non-fiction,fiction,juvenile&teen items, DVDs, audio books,and Music CDs; for example).
We could also have a demographic study of our patrons made into a chart etc.
Charts are definitely one of my favorite tools from Google docs!

1 comment:

Terzah said...

Wow, you really got into this one. No one else figured all of that stuff out (including Erin and me). I really like your ideas for using it at BPL, too, especially the ones on demographics and circ stats.